USSMA Rules and Requirements
- Skis minimum length: women - 150cm, men - 160cm minimum 750g Ski/Binding for men and 700g for women
- Bindings Toe and heel piece must be same brand
- Boots Rubber sole must cover 100% of boot bottom - Minimum weight 500g for men and 450g for women
- Skins at least 1 pair, must cover at least 50% of the surface area of the ski and 50% of the length of the ski
- 3 upper body layers
- 1 layer must be a wind proof layer
- 1 layer must be short or long sleeved (no tank tops)
- 2 lower body layers
- Helmet - Must meet skiing EN 1077, climbing UIAA 106 or climbing EN 12492 standards.
- Beacon - Beacon that transmits on 457 kHz frequency. For 2017/2018 season beacon must have a 3-antenna transmission system.
- Shovel. No snow claws. Minimum length 50 cm.
- Probe No probe poles. Minimum 240cm.
- Boots and bindings MUST be locked on all downhill (red flagged) portions of the course.
- Poles MUST be on the flat on the ground (not attached to the hand, or held) in transition areas. Racers who hold their poles risk stabbing others in the transition area!
- Broken skis and poles may be swapped at any point on the course. However, if a racer breaks a pole or ski, they cannot leave the pole or ski on the course (e.g. if a pole is broken, the broken pole must be carried until it can be traded for a non-broken pole).
- Skis MUST be attached at two points to the backpack during booter sections (packs often have a tail loop through with the tails are placed, and a hook attached above the binding- this is two connection points).
- Skins MUST be fully tucked into the race suit/pack/jacket PRIOR to leaving the transition area (may still be partially visible). Racers who attempt to leave the transition area should be called back to the transition area to fully secure skins, or be penalized according to the penalty table.
- All transitions must be carried out within the marked transition area only.
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?Yes, the minimum age is 10 and ages 10-12 will be required to wear a lift jacket. ID's will be required for ages 16-20 to ensure they are of age to sign a liability form. Parent/Guardian must be present to sign a liability form at check-in.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?Email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit www.sugarbowl.com/events for a more detailed FAQ.
What's the refund policy?There are no refunds for any reason. If you do not check-in by 11:00am on April 20th, your registration fee will be forfeited and your spot will be given to another participant.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?No, we will be able to look you up on our roster if you have paid online.
Can we ski in teams?No, synchronized pond skimming is not allowed. One at a time.
Can I attempt to cross the pond on a sled or ski bike?No Ski’s or Snowboards only.
How many attempts will we get?You get one shot to try and make it across.
Do I need a lift ticket to participate?Yes, a season pass or lift ticket is required.
Is there an age limit?Yes, Ages 10 and up only, under 12 life-jacket required. We will be checking ID’s and Parent/Guardians will need to sign off for anyone under 18. 15 and Under division will go first.
Do we have to wear a costume?Yeah dude, you do. No costume = no entry, and you must be in costume when you check in! We highly encourage fun, loud, and creative costumes for our Tiki-themed Pond Skim. Must be able to ski / board safely in your costume. Your face must be visible, no masks. Nickname also required.
How will the judges be scoring?We will have a panel of 4 judges. Categories are for best costume, best style, biggest splash, and distance. Best combined score wins overall, there will also be a winner per category. We will have 3 divisions, U15, Ski, and Snowboard.
What time does it start?Check in will be from 10AM – 11AM. At promptly 11:01AM, we will be opening registration to those on the waitlist. Festivities will run from 1:00pm – 3:00pm. Awards, celebration, and music to follow on the Village Deck!
How do we get to the pond / venue?Our Pond skim will be at our Village Base Area between the Mt. Disney Express and Nob Hill. You can park and take the Village Gondola over or ski / walk over from the Judah Lodge.
Will there be registration on-site?We’ve capped participation to 75, so we recommend you pre-register HERE. There will be a mandatory riders meeting before the event kicks off. Check-in will end at 11:00, if you have not checked in by then, your spot will be open to those on the waitlist.
Other rules and information:
- No inverts.
- No nudity.
- No head first diving, tips up!
- No outside alcohol or glass at the pond / venue.
- Skiers: poles must be dropped before entering pool.
- If you fall into the pond on your skim, please do not try to walk out of the pond. Wait for our staff to pull you out and get you to the reinforced exit area.
- Please remove all valuables (cell phones, watches, sunglasses, etc.) prior to your skim.
- Event is free for spectators.
- If you do not follow these rules you will be disqualified.
- Further questions? Feel free to contact email@example.com, Subject: Tiki Pond Skim.